General Admissions Procedures
Admission to the School of Information's graduate programs requires applicants to complete the following general application procedures for the UT Graduate School. Please allow plenty of time to process your application. For further information, please refer to the Graduate School’s Admissions page. Option III Master of Science in Information Security and Privacy program applicants, review admission requirements here.
The application deadline for the PhD program is December 1st and the MSIS program deadline is February 1st. Note: Spring admission is not available for any iSchool programs.
- Graduate and International Admissions Center (GIAC) application for admission and admission fee: The Texas Common Application is available at ApplyTexas.org.
- One official transcript from each college or university attended: Submit electronic copies of your official transcripts according to the GIAC website. Please avoid mailing paper copies to ensure a quicker processing of your application.
- An official report of Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores: Scores must be sent from the official testing agency to GIAC, using the codes for The University of Texas at Austin (GRE Code: 6882).
- Statement of Purpose: Once your application is submitted, electronically upload a statement of purpose for your desired program of study: See MSIS Requirements or PhD Requirements.
- Three letters of recommendation: You will be asked to submit the names and contact information of three recommenders at the time of your online application. After submitting the application, each contact will receive an email with directions for submitting a recommendation letter online.
- TOEFL or IELTS scores (international students only): International students must submit official test results from either the TOEFL or IELTS exams, according to the guidelines provided by GIAC.