Thank you for considering The University of Texas at Austin School of Information's degree and certificate programs!
Undergraduate Admissions Procedures
The Office of Admissions handles admissions for freshmen and transfer students to The University of Texas at Austin. See our Undergraduate Admissions page for application deadlines and resources. If you are a current UT student wanting to transfer from another school/college into the Informatics program or add Informatics as a second major, please visit our Internal Transfer Admissions page to learn how to apply.
The application deadline for freshmen (first time in college students) is December 1st and the external transfer student deadline is March 1st for fall admission or October 1st for spring admission. The deadline for current UT students to apply for internal transfer is March 1st.
Graduate Admissions Procedures
Admission to the School of Information's graduate programs requires applicants to complete the following general application procedures for the UT Graduate School. For full details, refer to the Graduate School’s Admissions page. Please allow plenty of time to process your application.
Option III Master of Science in Information Security and Privacy (MSISP) program applicants, review admission requirements here.
The application deadline for the PhD program is December 1st and the MSIS program deadline is February 1st. Note: Spring admission is not available for any graduate programs.
GRE Scores: For the Fall 2021 admissions cycle only, the School of Information will not require GRE scores as part of the application for the MSIS and PhD programs. Submission of scores is optional for applicants who would like to provide the Admissions Committee additional information about their potential for success in the program.
- Graduate and International Admissions Center (GIAC) application for admission and admission fee: The Texas Common Application is available at ApplyTexas.org.
- One official transcript from each college or university attended: Submit electronic copies of your official transcripts according to the GIAC website. Please avoid mailing paper copies to ensure a quicker processing of your application.
- An official report of Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores: Scores must be sent from the official testing agency to GIAC, using the codes for The University of Texas at Austin (GRE Code: 6882). (Optional for Fall 2021 applicants.)
- Statement of Purpose: Once your application is submitted, electronically upload a statement of purpose for your desired program of study: See MSIS Requirements or PhD Requirements.
- Three letters of recommendation: You will be asked to submit the names and contact information of three recommenders at the time of your online application. After submitting the application, each contact will receive an email with directions for submitting a recommendation letter online.
- TOEFL or IELTS scores (international students only): International students must submit official test results from either the TOEFL or IELTS exams, according to the guidelines provided by GIAC.
Certificate Program Admissions (Non-Degree Seeking Students)
Applicants to the School Librarian Certificate program (who already have a master's degree) or the Certificate of Advanced Study program should apply to the UT Graduate School as non-degree seeking students.