Below are iSchool general guidelines for travel policies and procedures.  These policies are not meant to supersede University travel policies, which are available at UT Handbook of Business Procedures. Please visit this site for detailed information.

A person can only be reimbursed for his or her own expenditures.

Before Traveling

  1. Complete and submit the Request for Travel Authorization Form to Pat Reichenbach at least 3 weeks prior to travel begin date. Submit this request whether or not there is a cost to UT. Additional approval is required for foreign and Washington DC travel. If applying for the Faculty Travel Grant, please complete the FTG application available here.
  2. Arrange air transportation with the Anthony Travel or Corporate Travel, two of the UT travel contractors. If you want to do it yourself, you can use the Concur online travel tool to make your flights, rental car, and hotel reservations. Please note that all business- related air must be booked through the two UT travel contractors. All business-related car rentals are required to be arranged through any of the five contracted companies: Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Hertz or National.  For additional information, exceptions to the policies, please visit the UT Travel Management website.
  3. Book your lodging. If using state funds, please look for a state contracted hotel. Hotel directory listing is available here.

While Traveling

Travel must be planned for maximum savings and efficiency. Original receipts are required for reimbursement. Please collect all itemized receipts. The following is a list of reimbursable Expenses:

  1. Transportation:
    1. Airfare
    2. Rental Car: must use state contracted rental cars companies when available. Please visit the UT Travel Management for more information.
    3. Train
    4. Bus
    5. Taxi
    6. Personal Car Mileage: reimbursed at the rates listed on the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts' Travel Reimbursement Rates Web page.on mileage rate published on the state.
  2. Meals and Lodging:
    1. Receipts for lodging are required. Overnight stay is required. Only single occupancy can be claimed.
    2. Receipts for meals are required if actual meal expenses exceed $51 dollar per day. Local accounts are limited to a combination of actual meal and lodging not to exceed $375 per day outside of Texas. Inside Texas the limit is $260.
  3. Other Travel Expenses:

Itemized receipts are required for all other travel expenses. Expenses must be business related. The following are examples of incidental travel expenses:

    1. Business phone calls
    2. Gasoline for rental cars
    3. Registration fee, if paid by traveler
    4. Parking/Toll fees
    5. Gratuities: Not permitted on state accounts. Limited to 15% on local accounts.

After Travel

To facilitate reimbursement of business travel expenses:

  1. Complete this optional Travel Reimbursement Form (excel) and submit to Pat Reichenbach with original receipts. Request for travel reimbursement expenses must be made within 60 days of your return date.
  2. Pat Reichenbach will process the payment voucher, contact you for your signature and submit the voucher and supporting documents to the Office of Accounting for payment.
  3. Generally, it takes 2 to 3 weeks to receive a payment.


glqxz9283 sfy39587stf02 mnesdcuix8